Aussie teen breaks sailing record
SYDNEY (AP) - May 17, 2010 -- One day after becoming the youngest person to sail solo, nonstop and unassisted around the world, 16-year-old Jessica Watson accomplished another goal: getting a good night's sleep in a bed that didn't bob around on the water.
Watson says those who doubted that she could make the 23,000 nautical mile trip had company: herself.
She says even as she was telling the world she was planning to complete the trip, she had "that niggling doubt" she might not be able to make it.
In the end, she did - even surviving the seven times her yacht was knocked down by the wind and waves.
It took 210 days to complete the journey in her 34-foot sailboat, Ella's Pink Lady. Jessica turns 17 tomorrow.
australia, bizarre bazaar
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 5 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle Co. 45 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
5 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle...
45 min ago
- Grinch slashes holiday decorations
51 min ago