Red Cross giving away new car, or Amish buggy
CLEVELAND (AP) - August 2, 2010 -- To spur blood donations, an Ohio Red Cross chapter is offering people who give a pint of blood the chance to win a car or a horse-drawn buggy.
Spokeswoman Christy Chapman in Cleveland says the Red Cross didn't want to leave its many Amish donors out of the giveaway. The organization's Northern Ohio blood services region includes three counties with one of the nation's largest Amish populations.
The Red Cross regional operation has a board member who is Amish and who is arranging to have a buggy custom made for the contest, which wraps up Sept. 6.
Blood donors who prefer a more modern mode of transportation can win a 2010 Nissan Versa.
cleveland, ohio, red cross, bizarre bazaar
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes hit Kansas, Oklahoma; no injuries reported
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested 59 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- NJ community joins forces to help 'storage locker' mom
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Phillies rally for 3-2 over Reds