Elvis Presley is running for governor
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - August 5, 2010 -- Elvis Presley is running for Arkansas governor.
No, not that Elvis.
Elvis D. Presley of Star City filed papers with the secretary of state's office on Wednesday to run as a write-in candidate for governor.
Presley indicated in the paperwork that he wants to "supply the people with a broader array of employment and newer chain of state government."
He declined to tell The Associated Press how he got his name but says he is an Elvis impersonator in his spare time.
Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe is seeking re-election in November. He faces Republican Jim Keet and Green Party nominee Jim Lendall in November. Two other candidates have filed to run as write-ins for governor.
Presley must still file with each of the state's 75 counties.
arkansas, bizarre bazaar
- Search for finger-biting attack suspect 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 25 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting attack suspect
3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
2 min ago