Pa. man gets drug case hearing, then wedding
EASTON, Pa. (AP) - August 8, 2010 -- The bride wore a gray suit. The groom wore a prison jumpsuit - and handcuffs.
And a Pennsylvania judge was doing double-duty after having just handled proceedings in the groom's drug case.
Northampton County prison inmate Franklin Barndt and Takesha Piazza were married Friday after he tried to have evidence against him dismissed in a cocaine case.
Defense attorney Gary Asteak said he hatched the idea after seeing Piazza in the courtroom.
Judge Leonard Zito said he had never gotten such a request before, but "we're a full-service court."
And when Zito asked whether anyone knew any reason why the marriage shouldn't proceed, the three-year mandatory minimum sentence that Barndt faces if convicted didn't come up.
The pair even managed to exchange a kiss over the objections of prosecutor Michele Kluk.
easton, pennsylvania, drugs, bizarre bazaar
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting 1 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run 2 min ago
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
1 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos