Golfer's swing sparks 25-acre fire in S. Calif
IRVINE, Calif. - September 1, 2010 -- Forget "Fore!"
"Fire!" was the cry of the day for a golfer whose off-target swing sparked a 12-acre blaze in Southern California.
The golfer at the Shady Canyon Golf Course in Irvine landed a shot in the rough Saturday.
On his next swing, his club snagged a rock, causing a spark that lit the rough ablaze and eventually attracted 150 firefighters to the scene.
Fire officials say the fire burned through the rough, into vegetation next to the course and over two dry, brushy hillsides.
No charges were filed against the golfer, whose name was withheld.
fire, golf, california, bizarre bazaar
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot 4 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 1 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken 41 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
1 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
41 min ago