The corn is popping in the field
ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky. (AP) - September 8, 2010 -- How hot is it?
A Kentucky farmer says it's so hot, his corn is popping in the field.
The tale may not be as tall as a corn stalk, though.
Patrick Preston has sent a photo of the burst kernels to the Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service.
Extension agent Doug Shepherd tells a local paper he's never seen popped kernels like it before.
But he says the outer coat of a kernel can explode from heat after the ears are pollinated.
kentucky, farming, heat wave, bizarre bazaar
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 8 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 14 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
8 min ago