Penn State: Mascot dismissed for rule violation
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - November 2, 2010 -- Penn State says the man behind the mascot, who was cited for underage drinking last summer, has been dismissed for violation of a team rule.
Penn State assistant athletic director Jeff Nelson says cheerleading coach Curtis White is confirming the dismissal of mascot Clint Gyory. Nelson declined further comment Tuesday. Gyory did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
Officials said earlier that police in State College, Pa., had issued underage drinking, public drunkenness and criminal mischief citations to Gyory on Aug. 1. White said in a statement at the time that Gyory regretted his actions, but would be suspended for the month of September. The department said someone else would wear the costume at games and other events.
Another student who played the mascot was suspended for the 2009 Rose Bowl against Southern California after a DUI charge.
underage drinking, Pennsylvania State University, pennsylvania, bizarre bazaar
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 34 min ago
- Temps Soar 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 37 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 52 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 54 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 44 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
50 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
34 min ago