Filipinos fete Year of Rabbit with golden cakes
MANILA, Philippines (AP) - February 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Wealthy Chinese-Filipinos are snapping up rice cakes decorated with gold and diamonds to celebrate the Lunar New Year in hopes of attracting good luck in the Year of the Rabbit.
The rabbit-shaped glutinous rice cakes sell for between $500 and $2,700 and are covered with 24-carat gold foil and a few small diamonds.
The creator of the custom-baked sweets, Angelito Araneta Jr., says they are meant to attract wealth as well as secure good ties with friends and kin.
Chinese-Filipinos traditionally share glutinous rice cakes with family and friends to celebrate the Lunar New Year, which falls on Thursday this year.
philippines, new year's, bizarre bazaar
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J. 21 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering 28 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos 12 min ago
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 8 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in...
12 min ago
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in...
21 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos