Hole-in-the-floor ashtray apparently leads to fire
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - February 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- An official in Portland, Ore., says a house fire that caused $30,000 in damage was apparently started by tenants who were using a hole in the floor as an ashtray.
Portland Fire & Rescue spokesman Paul Corah says, in his words, "That's not careless smoking, that's stupid smoking."
He says the caller who reported the fire Wednesday also hung up on the 911 dispatcher, then refused to talk when the dispatcher tried to call back for more details.
No one was injured.
oregon, fire, smoking, bizarre bazaar
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 18 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 25 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
18 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
25 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
9 min ago