A Valentine's gift that might bug your sweetheart
NEW YORK (AP) - February 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- If lingerie is too intimate and dinner out is too expensive, the Bronx Zoo suggests another Valentine's Day gift: a Madagascar hissing cockroach.
Spokesman John Calvelli says, "Nothing says forever like a cockroach."
The Wildlife Conservation Society runs the New York City zoo and is raising funds by offering the public the chance to name the huge roaches. In return for each name, it's asking for a $10 donation.
Calvelli says about 1,700 cockroach names were bought in the first two days of the promotion. Recipients get a certificate.
The zoo says naming a roach will honor a sweetheart's resourcefulness and resiliency. As the zoo puts it: "Flowers wilt. Chocolates melt. Roaches are forever."
Online: Wildlife Conservation Society
valentine's day, new york city, bizarre bazaar
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 28 min ago
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos