Councilman wants to rename Pennsylvania Avenue
WASHINGTON (AP) - February 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- A D.C. Council member wants to highlight the city's lack of statehood and is asking residents to pick another name for Pennsylvania Avenue.
Among the options on the online survey are Let D.C. Vote Way, 51st State Way and Free D.C. Avenue.
Council member Michael Brown is considering a ceremonial renaming and the sign could be placed under existing markers for Pennsylvania Avenue, which is home to the White House.
The survey also asks residents whether other Washington streets should be renamed. Washington's 600,000 residents pay federal taxes but do not have a vote in Congress.
washington, d.c., u.s. senate, u.s. house of representatives, president barack obama, bizarre bazaar
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!