Swimmer ignores warning, suffers shark bite
CANCUN, Mexico (AP) - March 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- A lifeguard in the Mexican resort of Cancun says a tourist has been attacked by a shark after ignoring warnings to stay out of the water.
Gaviotas beach lifeguard Lazaro Magana says the victim was taken to the hospital Thursday with an 8-inch (20-centimeter) wound in her foot.
Magana says the woman ventured 100 yards (meters) into the water even though he warned swimmers to stay away because of the possible presence of sharks.
Police say the woman is from Russia but haven't released her name or hometown.
It was the second shark attack in the hotel zone of Cancun in less than two months. A Canadian tourist was seriously injured in early
mexico, animal attacks, shark attack, bizarre bazaar
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)