Legislative prank becomes Internet sensation
SALEM, Ore. (AP) - April 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Who says government has to be boring?
A dozen state lawmakers in Oregon are convinced it doesn't need to be. They slipped the lyrics to Rick Astley's 1987 hit "Never Gonna Give You Up" into their speeches on the House floor last year. And they did it right under the noses of colleagues, journalists, lobbyists, staff and the public.
The video was released on April Fool's Day and went viral this week, attracting more than 780,000 views and comments from fans cheering the politicians eager to have a little fun while doing the people's business.
The mastermind is Rep. Jefferson Smith, a 37-year old Portland Democrat who says he wants to drive people to politics instead of driving them away with partisan venom.
oregon, practical jokes, bizarre bazaar
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado 1 min ago
- Soupy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying 22 min ago
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Conn. commuter rail service to resume Wednesday
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
1 min ago