Belly dancing sinks woman's disability claim
NEW YORK (AP) - April 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- A New York City woman who was getting $850 a month in alimony because she was supposedly disabled and unable to work had her payments slashed after her ex-husband spotted online photos of her belly dancing.
Brian McGurk went to court after discovering a blog that showed his 43-year-old ex-wife dancing at a gallery.
In other Internet postings, she wrote about dancing vigorously for several hours every day.
Dorothy McGurk told the court that the dancing was physical therapy for injuries she suffered in a car accident in the mid-1990s.
A county judge didn't buy it - and reduced her payments to $400 per month.
The judge also ordered her to pay her ex-husband's legal fees and 60 percent from the sale of their home.
new york, new york city, disabilities, dumb criminals, fraud, bizarre bazaar
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow is turning the ground white again! 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 33 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware 1 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Snow is turning the ground white again!
9 min ago
- Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
1 min ago