The Dutch need to run faster
BRUSSELS (AP) - April 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Officials in Belgium are trying to even out the racers in the Utrecht Marathon, so to speak. The race has a new payment plan: A winning local Dutch runner can take home 100 times what a foreign winner pockets.
Organizers call it a smart incentive plan to develop Dutch running in a race that has been dominated by Kenyans, who've won for the last four years. Critics say it's discrimination and racism.
The race is next week. Objections to the arrangement have come from Utrecht city council and Nairobi half a world away.
netherlands, money, bizarre bazaar
- Comfortable, but breezy. 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 53 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- Comfortable, but breezy.
8 min ago