Labor is now a laughing matter
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - June 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- Giving birth is now a laughing matter at Vanderbilt Medical Center.
The Nashville hospital is one of the few in the nation that offers laughing gas to women in labor.
While nitrous oxide doesn't completely the eliminate the pain of childbirth, it does reduce it.
Michelle Collins is a certified nurse midwife and an assistant professor at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing.
She tells The Tennessean newspaper that laughing gas is a third choice for mothers.
She says until now, women in labor had to choose between no pain relief and narcotics.
tennessee, hospitals, bizarre bazaar
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 30 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 43 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
30 min ago