Labor is now a laughing matter
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - June 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- Giving birth is now a laughing matter at Vanderbilt Medical Center.
The Nashville hospital is one of the few in the nation that offers laughing gas to women in labor.
While nitrous oxide doesn't completely the eliminate the pain of childbirth, it does reduce it.
Michelle Collins is a certified nurse midwife and an assistant professor at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing.
She tells The Tennessean newspaper that laughing gas is a third choice for mothers.
She says until now, women in labor had to choose between no pain relief and narcotics.
tennessee, hospitals, bizarre bazaar
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 25 min ago
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 45 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 19 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 25 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 18 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 1 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
45 min ago