Labor is now a laughing matter
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - June 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- Giving birth is now a laughing matter at Vanderbilt Medical Center.
The Nashville hospital is one of the few in the nation that offers laughing gas to women in labor.
While nitrous oxide doesn't completely the eliminate the pain of childbirth, it does reduce it.
Michelle Collins is a certified nurse midwife and an assistant professor at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing.
She tells The Tennessean newspaper that laughing gas is a third choice for mothers.
She says until now, women in labor had to choose between no pain relief and narcotics.
tennessee, hospitals, bizarre bazaar
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted local schools 32 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!