Colo. balloon boy parents extend bids for balloon
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - June 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- The former Colorado couple who told authorities their son floated away in a silver helium balloon say they're re-opening the auction for the balloon because of low and fraudulent bids.
The auction website says Monday that Richard and Mayumi Heene (HEE'-nee) are extending the auction until Friday.
The Heenes announced the auction June 1 and suggested a bid of $1 million. Their attorney says all proceeds would benefit earthquake and tsunami recovery in Japan.
The delay was reported in The Coloradoan.
Authorities chased the UFO-shaped balloon in October 2009 but the 6-year-old boy wasn't inside. He was later found at home and authorities accused the Heenes of staging a hoax to promote possible reality TV shows.
Both parents served time in jail and the family later moved to Bradenton, Fla.
colorado, balloon boy case, bizarre bazaar
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands