Prison escapee caught after knocking on wrong door
SEATTLE - June 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- An escaped convict was caught following a day on the loose after he knocked on a cabin door - only to find out the man renting the lodge was an off-duty guard at the prison he just fled.
Authorities said 39-year-old James Edward Russell took off from the Washington state penitentiary Tuesday morning. Early the next day, Russell - still wearing his prison uniform - went to the cabin asking to use the phone, said Department of Corrections spokesman Chad Lewis on Thursday.
After a scuffle, Russell ran off again, Lewis said. The guard, whose name was being withheld by authorities, reported the incident and Russell was caught a few hours later.
He had been serving time for forgery and theft.
washington, prison escape, bizarre bazaar
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 14 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
52 min ago