Prison escapee caught after knocking on wrong door
SEATTLE - June 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- An escaped convict was caught following a day on the loose after he knocked on a cabin door - only to find out the man renting the lodge was an off-duty guard at the prison he just fled.
Authorities said 39-year-old James Edward Russell took off from the Washington state penitentiary Tuesday morning. Early the next day, Russell - still wearing his prison uniform - went to the cabin asking to use the phone, said Department of Corrections spokesman Chad Lewis on Thursday.
After a scuffle, Russell ran off again, Lewis said. The guard, whose name was being withheld by authorities, reported the incident and Russell was caught a few hours later.
He had been serving time for forgery and theft.
washington, prison escape, bizarre bazaar
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 49 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 5 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 56 min ago
- Person injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 3 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp. 7 min ago
- NJ Transit bus crashes into building, 9 injured 11 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
5 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos