Facebook page lists Sitka, Alaska, bear sightings
SITKA, Alaska - July 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- Residents of Sitka, Alaska, are using social media to share reports about bear activity in the area.
KCAW radio reports the Facebook site "Sitka Bear Report" already has more than 200 followers.
The page details bear sightings in the southeast Alaska city, where more bears have been sighted because of a poor berry crop and dry weather.
Police report more than 100 calls about problem bears, including one dead dog and some chickens. But police caution that doesn't seem to be an unusually high number.
State Fish and Game area management biologist Phil Mooney says it might just seem like they are more bears around now because of the late spring and a lack of bear activity earlier this summer.
alaska, animals, bizarre bazaar
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 46 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 52 min ago
- SW Phila. shootings possibly connected to bar fight
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
52 min ago