A new trail blazing record
August 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Three miles-per-hour doesn't sound very fast.
But Jennifer Pharr Davis is claiming a new speed record.
She's hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in just under 46 and a-half days.
That beats the old record by just over 24 hours.
Davis averaged about 47 miles a day, over the more than 21-hundred miles of the Maine to Georgia trail.
Along the way, she saw 36 bears, moose and porcupines.
Davis carried a minimum of gear, often meeting her husband with the camping equipment at road crossings.
The 28-year-old Davis says she hopes to encourage more girls and women to get outside and enjoy nature.
exercise, bizarre bazaar
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident 11 min ago
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown 41 min ago
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys 21 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 46 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown
41 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
46 min ago