A new trail blazing record
August 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Three miles-per-hour doesn't sound very fast.
But Jennifer Pharr Davis is claiming a new speed record.
She's hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in just under 46 and a-half days.
That beats the old record by just over 24 hours.
Davis averaged about 47 miles a day, over the more than 21-hundred miles of the Maine to Georgia trail.
Along the way, she saw 36 bears, moose and porcupines.
Davis carried a minimum of gear, often meeting her husband with the camping equipment at road crossings.
The 28-year-old Davis says she hopes to encourage more girls and women to get outside and enjoy nature.
exercise, bizarre bazaar
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 37 min ago
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 56 min ago
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
38 min ago