A new trail blazing record
August 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Three miles-per-hour doesn't sound very fast.
But Jennifer Pharr Davis is claiming a new speed record.
She's hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in just under 46 and a-half days.
That beats the old record by just over 24 hours.
Davis averaged about 47 miles a day, over the more than 21-hundred miles of the Maine to Georgia trail.
Along the way, she saw 36 bears, moose and porcupines.
Davis carried a minimum of gear, often meeting her husband with the camping equipment at road crossings.
The 28-year-old Davis says she hopes to encourage more girls and women to get outside and enjoy nature.
exercise, bizarre bazaar
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight 39 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
40 min ago