Remorseful thief returns NH woman's items
PLAISTOW, N.H. (AP) - August 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police say an apparently remorseful thief who stole a woman's wallet in a New Hampshire supermarket showed up at her door days later to return $90 and a GPS, and brought along an apology letter.
The wallet was stolen from the 61-year-old woman's cart on July 18 in Plaistow. Her wallet was found at a Massachusetts post office.
Then on July 26, the victim heard a knock on her door. A man said he was sorry, returned her belongings, gave her the long letter and fled. Police say the thief probably found her address from something in her wallet.
Deputy Police Chief Kathleen Jones tells The Eagle-Tribune although the woman is happy to have her belongings back, she's unnerved that the thief knows where she lives.
Jones says the thief still faces charges when caught.
new hampshire, dumb criminals, theft, bizarre bazaar
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police