Remorseful thief returns NH woman's items
PLAISTOW, N.H. (AP) - August 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police say an apparently remorseful thief who stole a woman's wallet in a New Hampshire supermarket showed up at her door days later to return $90 and a GPS, and brought along an apology letter.
The wallet was stolen from the 61-year-old woman's cart on July 18 in Plaistow. Her wallet was found at a Massachusetts post office.
Then on July 26, the victim heard a knock on her door. A man said he was sorry, returned her belongings, gave her the long letter and fled. Police say the thief probably found her address from something in her wallet.
Deputy Police Chief Kathleen Jones tells The Eagle-Tribune although the woman is happy to have her belongings back, she's unnerved that the thief knows where she lives.
Jones says the thief still faces charges when caught.
new hampshire, dumb criminals, theft, bizarre bazaar
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 17 min ago
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire 59 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos