Man hospitalized after shooting his crotch
CHANDLER, Ariz. (AP) - August 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- A suburban Phoenix man is recovering after police say he accidentally shot himself in the penis while putting his girlfriend's gun in the waistband of his pants.
Chandler police say 27-year-old Joshua Seto and his fiancé, Cara Christopher, were walking toward a grocery store when the shooting happened last week. The gun fired, striking Seto's penis and continuing through his left thigh.
The Arizona Republic reports a 911 operator told Christopher to apply direct pressure to the wound with a dry towel or T-shirt.
Chandler Police Detective Seth Tyler was unsure of the type of gun, or whether it had a safety that was off. He also says it's unclear if Seto has been released from the hospital or suffered any permanent damage.
In the wake of the shooting, Tyler warned residents to use holsters, not waistbands, if they're going to carry a handgun.
arizona, guns, shooting, bizarre bazaar
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 2 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County 55 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 31 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police