Robbery foiled - but victim gives attacker money
VIENNA (AP) - August 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- First he pulled a knife - and when that didn't work a would-be robber persuaded his victim to hand over money with a sob story.
An Austrian police official said Thursday that a woman last month refused demands by a knife-wielding man to give him 400 euros ($570) from an ATM - but she then handed over 90 euros ($130) out of pity after he put away his weapon, took off his mask and told her that he was homeless and broke.
The woman's husband, however, was not so understanding. The unidentified culprit was arrested Tuesday after he alerted authorities in Neunkirchen, a town south of Vienna and the scene of the crime.
The official did not identify himself on the telephone
austria, robbery, money, bizarre bazaar
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools relocating students, staff Friday 22 min ago
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers 44 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run