Brazil prison uses geese as alarm system
SAO PAULO - August 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- An overcrowded prison in northeastern Brazil has added a new layer of security against escapes: two geese.Sobral prison warden Wellington Picanco tells the G1 news website the geese make a lot of noise when they sense "strange movements."
He says the geese roaming the prison grounds also will help alert guards to the outbreak of violence among rival gangs at the overcrowded facility.
The prison was built to hold 153 inmates. It currently holds 255.
Calls to the prison for more details went unanswered.
brazil, animals, bizarre bazaar
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm 46 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds 57 min ago
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants 55 min ago
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada 54 min ago
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
46 min ago