Problems with this plate
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - November 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Nebraska has eighty-sixed a "420" license plate.
Now, a lawyer is taking the state Department of Motor Vehicles to court.
Frank Shoemaker applied for the personalized tags "NE420."
But his request was denied.
The DMV says 420 is associated with pot smoking -- stoner shorthand for let's get high.
The Nebraska chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union filed the federal lawsuit on Shoemaker's behalf.
The ACLU says the DMV is violating Shoemaker's free speech rights.
nebraska, automobiles, illegal drugs, marijuana, bizarre bazaar
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Video: Father, son to graduate college together
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos