Problems with this plate
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - November 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Nebraska has eighty-sixed a "420" license plate.
Now, a lawyer is taking the state Department of Motor Vehicles to court.
Frank Shoemaker applied for the personalized tags "NE420."
But his request was denied.
The DMV says 420 is associated with pot smoking -- stoner shorthand for let's get high.
The Nebraska chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union filed the federal lawsuit on Shoemaker's behalf.
The ACLU says the DMV is violating Shoemaker's free speech rights.
nebraska, automobiles, illegal drugs, marijuana, bizarre bazaar
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 15 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 10 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp. 55 min ago
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 3 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth 19 min ago
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
50 min ago