Woman tried to smuggle drugs in hollow Bible
LANCASTER, S.C. (AP) - November 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- Deputies in South Carolina say a woman used two hollowed-out Bibles to try to smuggle weapons, drugs and a cell phone to a prison inmate.
Sheriff Barry Faile said Monday authorities began investigating 28-year-old Shareca Latoya Jones earlier this month after a package mailed to Lieber Correctional Institution was returned to a post office in Lancaster. Inside the package were two Bibles containing razor knives, a cell phone, ecstasy pills and more than 28 grams of cocaine.
Deputies identified Jones as the person who mailed the package from a Kershaw post office. In her car, authorities found a loaded handgun, drugs, cell phones and cash.
Jones is facing drug and contraband charges. She was released from jail on bond, and it wasn't known if she had an attorney.
south carolina, dumb criminals, illegal drugs, bizarre bazaar
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 39 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 47 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash 18 min ago
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
18 min ago