Police: Fugitive chaperoned daughter's field trip
SEATTLE (AP) - December 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Seattle police say a man on the run for a litany of crimes was spotted chaperoning his daughter's elementary school field trip.
Donald Vasser was featured on "Washington's Most Wanted," a local law enforcement show in the style of "America's Most Wanted." It described the 39-year-old man as a "high-violent offender" with more than 20 arrests under his belt.
Seattle police spokeswoman Renee Witt says another parent recognized him and police were called in after the students came back to Lowell Elementary School on Wednesday. Vasser fled before police arrived, and officers were unable to find him even though the school was locked down.
Schools spokeswoman Teresa Wippel says officials are investigating how Vasser was able to get on the trip. She says that schools run background checks on chaperones.
seattle, washington, bizarre bazaar
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 17 min ago
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire 2 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire 13 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 1 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
17 min ago