Kobayashi downs record 337 wings at Wing Bowl
PHILADELPHIA - February 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Competitive-eating champ Takeru Kobayashi conquered Philadelphia's annual gustatory gorge-fest by eating 337 chicken wings in a half-hour before a crowd of nearly 20,000 at Wing Bowl XX.
The Japanese phenom demolished the record of 255 set last year by Jonathan "Super" Squibb.
The Friday morning extravaganza drew thousands to the Wells Fargo Center before sunrise to watch competitors stuff themselves with chicken wings.
Kobayashi claimed a $20,000 cash prize for his victory. It was the six-time Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest champ's first time competing at Wing Bowl, though he consumed a cheesesteak in 24 seconds as part of an eating exhibition last year.
Squibb had been trying to win his fourth consecutive Wing Bowl crown, but the Berlin, N.J., man finished a distant second with 271 wings.
chat, wing bowl, pennsylvania, philadelphia, bizarre bazaar
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 5 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 9 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 9 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 9 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
5 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
9 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
9 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos