Kobayashi downs record 337 wings at Wing Bowl
PHILADELPHIA - February 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Competitive-eating champ Takeru Kobayashi conquered Philadelphia's annual gustatory gorge-fest by eating 337 chicken wings in a half-hour before a crowd of nearly 20,000 at Wing Bowl XX.
The Japanese phenom demolished the record of 255 set last year by Jonathan "Super" Squibb.
The Friday morning extravaganza drew thousands to the Wells Fargo Center before sunrise to watch competitors stuff themselves with chicken wings.
Kobayashi claimed a $20,000 cash prize for his victory. It was the six-time Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest champ's first time competing at Wing Bowl, though he consumed a cheesesteak in 24 seconds as part of an eating exhibition last year.
Squibb had been trying to win his fourth consecutive Wing Bowl crown, but the Berlin, N.J., man finished a distant second with 271 wings.
chat, wing bowl, pennsylvania, philadelphia, bizarre bazaar
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding 42 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 39 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 37 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 33 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp. 38 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1 32 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
37 min ago
- Search continues for robbers in armored car...
39 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's...
42 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
35 min ago