Kobayashi downs record 337 wings at Wing Bowl
PHILADELPHIA - February 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Competitive-eating champ Takeru Kobayashi conquered Philadelphia's annual gustatory gorge-fest by eating 337 chicken wings in a half-hour before a crowd of nearly 20,000 at Wing Bowl XX.
The Japanese phenom demolished the record of 255 set last year by Jonathan "Super" Squibb.
The Friday morning extravaganza drew thousands to the Wells Fargo Center before sunrise to watch competitors stuff themselves with chicken wings.
Kobayashi claimed a $20,000 cash prize for his victory. It was the six-time Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest champ's first time competing at Wing Bowl, though he consumed a cheesesteak in 24 seconds as part of an eating exhibition last year.
Squibb had been trying to win his fourth consecutive Wing Bowl crown, but the Berlin, N.J., man finished a distant second with 271 wings.
chat, wing bowl, pennsylvania, philadelphia, bizarre bazaar
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 26 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 53 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 29 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs 18 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
26 min ago
- Group calls on Phila. City Council for...
24 min ago