Kobayashi downs record 337 wings at Wing Bowl
PHILADELPHIA - February 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Competitive-eating champ Takeru Kobayashi conquered Philadelphia's annual gustatory gorge-fest by eating 337 chicken wings in a half-hour before a crowd of nearly 20,000 at Wing Bowl XX.
The Japanese phenom demolished the record of 255 set last year by Jonathan "Super" Squibb.
The Friday morning extravaganza drew thousands to the Wells Fargo Center before sunrise to watch competitors stuff themselves with chicken wings.
Kobayashi claimed a $20,000 cash prize for his victory. It was the six-time Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest champ's first time competing at Wing Bowl, though he consumed a cheesesteak in 24 seconds as part of an eating exhibition last year.
Squibb had been trying to win his fourth consecutive Wing Bowl crown, but the Berlin, N.J., man finished a distant second with 271 wings.
chat, wing bowl, pennsylvania, philadelphia, bizarre bazaar
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 59 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 56 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 58 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 54 min ago
- Officials: Valentine's Day pileup on Pa. Turnpike exposed gaps 12 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 2 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures