Prank offer of free baby lands teen in trouble
CLINTON, Miss. (AP) - February 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Mississippi say charges are pending against a Jackson area teen for pulling a prank on a friend when he advertised a free baby on Craigslist using the friend's cellphone number on the contact information.
Police Chief Don Byington would not identify the youths involved, but told The Clarion-Ledger the posting was "a bad practical joke."
Byington says the 18-year-old student at Clinton High took a photo of an unknown baby boy and placed the ad on Craigslist to give away - not sell - the baby. He says police interviewed the student Monday.
Prosecutors say the posting of such information can be prosecuted under state law that makes the "posting of messages through electronic media for the purpose of causing injury to another person" a felony.
mississippi, dumb criminals, bizarre bazaar
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 25 min ago
- Temps Soar 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 28 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 43 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 45 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 35 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
41 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
25 min ago