Car thief who crashed was eating, texting
KENNEWICK, Wash. (AP) - March 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Texting and eating while driving? Not the best plan. Do those things while driving a stolen truck and the trouble mounts.
Kennewick, Wash., police say a Chevy pickup truck previously stolen in nearby Richland ran into a ditch and drove through some logs and lawns before hitting a home Wednesday.
Neighbors and the homeowner saw a man run from the scene. A Benton County sheriff's deputy in the area made an arrest a short time later.
Spokesman Mike Blatman tells the Tri-City Herald the arrested man said he was eating a croissant and reading a text message when he lost control of the truck.
The spokesman says 32-year-old Jeromy Kirkendall of Kennewick was booked into the Benton County jail for investigation of possessing stolen property.
It wasn't immediately known if Kirkendall has an attorney or how much damage was done to the home.
washington, automobiles, dumb criminals, food, texting, bizarre bazaar
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 39 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 44 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
39 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
50 min ago
- Milder Monday
42 min ago