The nose always knows
CHESAPEAKE, Va. (AP) - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- The nose knows.
But some defense lawyers think something stinks. Chesapeake, Virginia, police officers say they pull over drivers for pot, based on the smell of the illegal weed.
But Assistant Public Defender Matthew Taylor says it's preposterous that police could catch a whiff of weed from inside their patrol cars.
Taylor tried to get multiple drug charges against Deon Crudup tossed out of court passed on an illegal search.
The Virginian-Pilot reports a judge denied the request.
But the state chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union expects more legal challenges to an officer's schnoz as probable cause.
virginia, dumb criminals, illegal drugs, marijuana, police, bizarre bazaar
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis 39 min ago
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea 45 min ago
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 37 min ago
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 23 min ago
- Montco student hospitalized with meningitis-causing infection 1 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
9 min ago
- Montco student hospitalized with...
1 min ago