The nose always knows
CHESAPEAKE, Va. (AP) - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- The nose knows.
But some defense lawyers think something stinks. Chesapeake, Virginia, police officers say they pull over drivers for pot, based on the smell of the illegal weed.
But Assistant Public Defender Matthew Taylor says it's preposterous that police could catch a whiff of weed from inside their patrol cars.
Taylor tried to get multiple drug charges against Deon Crudup tossed out of court passed on an illegal search.
The Virginian-Pilot reports a judge denied the request.
But the state chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union expects more legal challenges to an officer's schnoz as probable cause.
virginia, dumb criminals, illegal drugs, marijuana, police, bizarre bazaar
- American U: lockdown lifted, suspect in custody 20 min ago
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 6 min ago
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash