The nose always knows
CHESAPEAKE, Va. (AP) - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- The nose knows.
But some defense lawyers think something stinks. Chesapeake, Virginia, police officers say they pull over drivers for pot, based on the smell of the illegal weed.
But Assistant Public Defender Matthew Taylor says it's preposterous that police could catch a whiff of weed from inside their patrol cars.
Taylor tried to get multiple drug charges against Deon Crudup tossed out of court passed on an illegal search.
The Virginian-Pilot reports a judge denied the request.
But the state chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union expects more legal challenges to an officer's schnoz as probable cause.
virginia, dumb criminals, illegal drugs, marijuana, police, bizarre bazaar
- Big fire burning beach homes in Sea Isle City 2 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Fire in Sea Isle City 14 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 9 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
7 min ago