1958 postcard mailed from Chicago finally arrives
CHICAGO (AP) - April 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A postcard mailed from Chicago in 1958 has finally reached its intended recipient, but not without a little help from Facebook.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that a postcard depicting Shedd Aquarium recently arrived at Scott McMurry's Virginia home, more than five decades after his mom mailed it.
The 71-year-old says he immediately recognized his mother's handwriting.
The postcard was addressed to Clairmont Lane in Decatur, Ga., where McMurry grew up. But it recently arrived in Elizabeth Fulcher's mailbox on Clairmont Lane in South Daytona, Fla.
Fulcher posted a picture of the postcard on Facebook and her friends helped track down McMurry.
The half-century mail delay remains a mystery.
In the meantime, the aquarium has offered to give him a tour of the attraction that his late parents visited.
chicago, illinois, bizarre bazaar
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases