The mountains are still growing
RENO, Nev. (AP) - May 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Going up?
The mountains of the Sierra Nevada are getting higher.
But you're not going to get dizzy if you go skiing or hiking in the Lake Tahoe area.
Researchers report the Sierra Nevada range grows at about one-half inch every 10 years.
The scientists say a combination of GPS data and space-based radar provides unprecedented accuracy.
The research is being done by the University of Nevada, Reno and the University of Glasgow in Scotland.
A study is to be published in the journal Geology.
nevada, bizarre bazaar
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police