The mountains are still growing
RENO, Nev. (AP) - May 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Going up?
The mountains of the Sierra Nevada are getting higher.
But you're not going to get dizzy if you go skiing or hiking in the Lake Tahoe area.
Researchers report the Sierra Nevada range grows at about one-half inch every 10 years.
The scientists say a combination of GPS data and space-based radar provides unprecedented accuracy.
The research is being done by the University of Nevada, Reno and the University of Glasgow in Scotland.
A study is to be published in the journal Geology.
nevada, bizarre bazaar
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 25 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids 32 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
25 min ago