Tons of pot found floating off Southern Calif.
DANA POINT, Calif. (AP) - May 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say three and a half tons of marijuana have been found floating in the ocean off Southern California.
A boater spotted 160 bales of pot around noon Sunday about 15 miles off the coast of Dana Point. Orange County authorities and the Coast Guard sent boats to gather up the pot and turn it over to the U.S. Border Patrol.
They say it's unclear who dumped the pot, which together weighs about 7,000 pounds and has an estimated street value of $3 million.
Authorities say there was no boat in sight and they didn't get any distress calls from a vessel.
california, marijuana, bizarre bazaar
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 56 min ago
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Street-level interactive weather map
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos