Tons of pot found floating off Southern Calif.
DANA POINT, Calif. (AP) - May 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say three and a half tons of marijuana have been found floating in the ocean off Southern California.
A boater spotted 160 bales of pot around noon Sunday about 15 miles off the coast of Dana Point. Orange County authorities and the Coast Guard sent boats to gather up the pot and turn it over to the U.S. Border Patrol.
They say it's unclear who dumped the pot, which together weighs about 7,000 pounds and has an estimated street value of $3 million.
Authorities say there was no boat in sight and they didn't get any distress calls from a vessel.
california, marijuana, bizarre bazaar
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 36 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 35 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
22 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos