Tons of pot found floating off Southern Calif.
DANA POINT, Calif. (AP) - May 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say three and a half tons of marijuana have been found floating in the ocean off Southern California.
A boater spotted 160 bales of pot around noon Sunday about 15 miles off the coast of Dana Point. Orange County authorities and the Coast Guard sent boats to gather up the pot and turn it over to the U.S. Border Patrol.
They say it's unclear who dumped the pot, which together weighs about 7,000 pounds and has an estimated street value of $3 million.
Authorities say there was no boat in sight and they didn't get any distress calls from a vessel.
california, marijuana, bizarre bazaar
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 36 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 1 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar shooting 4 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- MLK football documentary premieres in NYC
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Sunny, blustery winds today
48 min ago
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
36 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar...
4 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos