Bitten-off hand recovered from inside gator
EVERGLADES CITY, Fla. (AP) - June 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Wildlife officials say an alligator has bitten the hand off an airboat captain in southwest Florida.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials say wildlife officers tracked and euthanized the alligator after the attack Tuesday afternoon in Everglades City.
Commission spokeswoman Carli Segelson tells the Naples Daily News the hand was pulled from the alligator's stomach and taken to the hospital where the captain was being treated.
No additional details about the attack were immediately available. It was unclear if anyone else was in the boat.
The commission identified the captain as 63-year-old Wallace Weatherholt of Captain Doug's Everglades Tours.
florida, animal attacks, bizarre bazaar
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids