Man arrested after trying to hide gun in planter
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - July 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- An Oregon man has been arrested after airport authorities saw him trying to hide his gun in a planter box so he could retrieve it upon his return.
The Oregonian reports that 69-year-old Soren Muir Johnson of Eagle Point was arrested for investigation of reckless endangering.
Transportation Security Administration employees say he was told he couldn't carry his loaded weapon through a security checkpoint and that he should put it in his luggage instead.
They say that they watched as he disregarded that advice and instead dropped the .22-caliber pistol in an airport planter box on June 24.
Port of Portland spokesman Steve Johnson says police recovered the gun. Police say the man told them he hid the gun so he could retrieve it when he returned from his trip.
oregon, dumb criminals, guns, airline security, air travel, bizarre bazaar
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ 31 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 16 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
18 min ago