600-year-old linen bras found in Austrian castle
VIENNA (AP) - July 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- A revolutionary discovery has hit the world of underwear: Women 600 years ago wore bras.
The University of Innsbruck said Wednesday that archeologists found four linen bras dating from the Middle Ages in an Austrian castle. Fashion experts describe the find as surprising because the bra was commonly thought to be little more than 100 years old as women abandoned the tight corset.
Hilary Davidson, fashion curator for the London Museum, says one specimen in particular "looks exactly like a (modern) brassiere."
Archaeologist Beatrix Nutz says the garments were unearthed in 2008 but did not make news until now. She gave a lecture on them last year but the information stayed within academic circles until a recent BBC history program.
austria, bizarre bazaar
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Damp and Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Bear spotted in Bucks County
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- Video: Caught on tape: Huge tornado in Kansas
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list