Santas shake it up at annual summer meet
COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) - July 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- If Santa looks thinner than usual come Christmas, it may have something to do with Zumba, the Latin-inspired dance fitness craze.
A Zumba exercise class with hula hoops was a novelty at this year's World Santa Congress, which brings St. Nicks from around the globe to an amusement park in Copenhagen this week.
"It was a sweaty experience and it didn't help having an extra 10 pounds of clothing on but now I'm hooked. I think I will be doing some more Zumba in my spare-time," chuckled Douglas Gowin, a 57-year-old Santa from Washington, D.C.
Now in its 55th consecutive year, the four-day World Santa Congress has more workouts on the schedule, including an obstacle course in which Santas must go down a chimney and climb an ice mountain.
europe, holidays, christmas, bizarre bazaar
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia 18 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 16 min ago
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 33 min ago
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier