Teddy bears invade Belarus
MINSK, Belarus (AP) - August 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's probably the first time in history that teddy bears have defeated generals.
In the former Soviet state of Belarus, two generals have been sacked -- after a Swedish light plane intruded the country's airspace and dropped hundreds of teddy bears carrying slogans supporting human rights and media freedom.
Officials in the authoritarian state weren't laughing.
They actually denied the incident happened until last week, when President Alexander Lukashenko called a government meeting to scold authorities for allowing what he called a "provocation."
europe, bizarre bazaar
- More Snow on the Way 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 23 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack 37 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 27 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced 35 min ago
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete 38 min ago
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition 42 min ago
- AAA: Prepare your car for winter driving now!
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- More Snow on the Way
26 min ago
- Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash
25 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
37 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration...
27 min ago