Teddy bears invade Belarus
MINSK, Belarus (AP) - August 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's probably the first time in history that teddy bears have defeated generals.
In the former Soviet state of Belarus, two generals have been sacked -- after a Swedish light plane intruded the country's airspace and dropped hundreds of teddy bears carrying slogans supporting human rights and media freedom.
Officials in the authoritarian state weren't laughing.
They actually denied the incident happened until last week, when President Alexander Lukashenko called a government meeting to scold authorities for allowing what he called a "provocation."
europe, bizarre bazaar
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos