Double-parking gets doubly expensive
ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) - August 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Double-parking can now be doubly expensive in one eastern Pennsylvania city.
The city council in Allentown on Wednesday approved additional fines for drivers who double-park when there is a vacant space nearby.
The Express-Times reports double-parking is already illegal in Allentown.
But now, drivers who block the road while ignoring "adjacent" open spots face an extra $100 fee on top of the original $100 double-parking fine.
Councilman Peter Schweyer sponsored the bill, which was approved 7-0.
Schweyer says there's no justification for motorists double-parking if a spot is available. He says, "The only excuse is that they're lazy. It's as simple as that."
allentown, pennsylvania, automobiles, bizarre bazaar
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 1 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 21 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Person injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 19 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp. 23 min ago
- NJ Transit bus crashes into building, 9 injured 11 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 13 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
21 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
15 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos