Mammoth skeleton up for auction in Paris
PARIS (AP) - September 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Looking for that must-have ornament for a cavernous living room or backyard lawn? Perk up, Sotheby's is putting a complete Mammoth skeleton up for sale in Paris.
The auction house plans the Oct. 2 sale as part of a collection of fossils, skeletons, meteors and minerals - and even a dinosaur egg and woolly rhinoceros skeleton - from the Kashiwagi museum in Japan.
Sotheby's said in a statement Thursday that the skeleton of Mammuthus primigenius, from Siberia, dates to the Middle Paleolithic period when Neanderthals roamed the earth. The house estimates it will go for more than ¬185,000 ($240,000).
The Mammoth skeleton, which has been arranged in a bit of an upward-facing pose, measures 3.5 meters (11 1/2 feet) in height - just slightly taller than it is long.
france, paris, wildlife preservation, bizarre bazaar
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ 1 min ago
- Winter's Last Blast 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 13 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- Winter's Last Blast
6 min ago