Mammoth skeleton up for auction in Paris
PARIS (AP) - September 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Looking for that must-have ornament for a cavernous living room or backyard lawn? Perk up, Sotheby's is putting a complete Mammoth skeleton up for sale in Paris.
The auction house plans the Oct. 2 sale as part of a collection of fossils, skeletons, meteors and minerals - and even a dinosaur egg and woolly rhinoceros skeleton - from the Kashiwagi museum in Japan.
Sotheby's said in a statement Thursday that the skeleton of Mammuthus primigenius, from Siberia, dates to the Middle Paleolithic period when Neanderthals roamed the earth. The house estimates it will go for more than ¬185,000 ($240,000).
The Mammoth skeleton, which has been arranged in a bit of an upward-facing pose, measures 3.5 meters (11 1/2 feet) in height - just slightly taller than it is long.
france, paris, wildlife preservation, bizarre bazaar
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 56 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 10 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos