Fibbers vie for World's Biggest Liar crown
LONDON (AP) - November 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Fantastic fibbers are gathering at a remote pub in northwestern England to vie for the title of world's biggest liar.
The annual competition is held at the Bridge Inn in the Lake District hamlet of Santon Bridge. Contestants have five minutes to impress the judges with a whopping but convincing lie.
Politicians and lawyers are barred from entry, as they are considered to have an unfair advantage.
Last year's winner was nuclear power plant worker Glen Boyland, for an improbable story about racing snails with Prince Charles.
The competition was founded in honor of 19th-century Bridge Inn landlord Will Ritson, who was renowned for his tall tales.
Thursday's event is sponsored by local brewer Jennings, which has produced a World's Biggest Liar ale to mark the event.
england, london, bizarre bazaar
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos