Fibbers vie for World's Biggest Liar crown
LONDON (AP) - November 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Fantastic fibbers are gathering at a remote pub in northwestern England to vie for the title of world's biggest liar.
The annual competition is held at the Bridge Inn in the Lake District hamlet of Santon Bridge. Contestants have five minutes to impress the judges with a whopping but convincing lie.
Politicians and lawyers are barred from entry, as they are considered to have an unfair advantage.
Last year's winner was nuclear power plant worker Glen Boyland, for an improbable story about racing snails with Prince Charles.
The competition was founded in honor of 19th-century Bridge Inn landlord Will Ritson, who was renowned for his tall tales.
Thursday's event is sponsored by local brewer Jennings, which has produced a World's Biggest Liar ale to mark the event.
england, london, bizarre bazaar
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly 42 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Video: Kid gets stuck in claw machine 6 min ago
- Kid gets stuck in claw machine
6 min ago
- Waitress types "B" word on customer's receipt
5 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos