Fibbers vie for World's Biggest Liar crown
LONDON (AP) - November 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Fantastic fibbers are gathering at a remote pub in northwestern England to vie for the title of world's biggest liar.
The annual competition is held at the Bridge Inn in the Lake District hamlet of Santon Bridge. Contestants have five minutes to impress the judges with a whopping but convincing lie.
Politicians and lawyers are barred from entry, as they are considered to have an unfair advantage.
Last year's winner was nuclear power plant worker Glen Boyland, for an improbable story about racing snails with Prince Charles.
The competition was founded in honor of 19th-century Bridge Inn landlord Will Ritson, who was renowned for his tall tales.
Thursday's event is sponsored by local brewer Jennings, which has produced a World's Biggest Liar ale to mark the event.
england, london, bizarre bazaar
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 16 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate 4 min ago
- Man gunned down at water ice stand
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Suicide at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris 55 min ago
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place 56 min ago
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
16 min ago