Monopoly comes to Lagos, Nigeria's biggest city
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) - December 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- Nigeria's largest city of Lagos is no boardwalk, but now Monopoly is taking inspiration from the city's sprawling chaos.
Officials unveiled a Lagos-themed Monopoly board game Tuesday in the city. Officials walked past a massive display of the new board game on the floor at Lagos' City Hall on Lagos Island, showing the familiar spaces with their new themed names.
The most expensive property is not Boardwalk, but Lagos' Banana Island, which is an artificial island with mansions and exclusive apartments. The cheapest is Makoko, a waterfront slum of homes on stilts. There's still chance and jail, with the option of just visiting as always.
Hasbro Inc., which owns the rights to Monopoly, said Bestman Games Ltd. would distribute the Lagos version of the game under an exclusive license.
africa, bizarre bazaar
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy 9 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 5 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 5 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
9 min ago