Woman parlays $1 investment into $5,500 payout
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) - December 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Santa Fe woman has parlayed her sister's $1 investment in an old ammunition box into a $5,500 payout.
Marlene Arsola received the check this week from the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
She tells a local newspaper that her sister bought a couple of metal ammunition boxes for $1 each at an auction about eight years ago.
One box was empty but the other had shredded currency.
Arsola's sister took the bills that were partially intact to the bank and received $400 to $500 for them. She turned over the smaller shreds to Arsola, who enjoys doing puzzles.
She didn't put the pieces together but eventually contacted the Treasury Department about the mutilated money.
She discovered the check in her mail Thursday.
new mexico, money, bizarre bazaar
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 43 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
42 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
43 min ago