Chinese toad in candlestick comes to South Africa
JOHANNESBURG (AP) - December 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's a real life Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
Animal rescue officials in South Africa say they found a toad from China hidden inside a porcelain candlestick.
The Star newspaper of South Africa quoted animal expert Brett Glasby in Cape Town saying that workers had to break the candlestick to get the toad out. He said the toad, an Asian Common Toad, can slow its breathing and heart rate to survive times of drought, likely aiding it to survive the voyage.
Workers fed the hungry toad worms and crickets after freeing it.
The animal is not endangered. But because the toad is a possible invasive species for South Africa, workers will have to put the animal down.
south africa, animals, bizarre bazaar
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 13 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens 42 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 41 min ago
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer 39 min ago
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car 38 min ago
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI 45 min ago
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 36 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 49 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
46 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
13 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
42 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite,...
49 min ago