Icy start to the new year
NEW YORK (AP) - January 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Some people got a thrill to start the New Year - then there are those who ushered in 2013 with a definite chill.
They were the hundreds of people who started the new year with a plunge into the waters off Brooklyn's Coney Island.
Members of the Coney Island Polar Bear clubs and the Ice Breakers stripped down to their trunks for the annual January 1 romp in the surf.
One woman dressed as a mermaid, another in a horned hat.
The temperatures were in the 30s and there were shrieks as bathers hit the chilly waters.
This year, Polar Bear club members and others were raising money for Sandy relief efforts.
The Coney Island area was badly flooded by the late October storm.
new york, new york city, new year's, bizarre bazaar
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 58 min ago