Animal shelter gets a new home
HAVELOCK, Iowa (AP) - January 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- It was a tough choice for those who ran an animal shelter in northwest Iowa: move or get rid of all its animals.
The story has had a happy ending, thanks to donations from pet lovers and community members.
The Safe Haven Animal Shelter in Havelock, Iowa was told to pack up because neighbors complained about the stench of the animals.
The shelter found a new place - but it had no lights or indoor plumbing.
Once word got out, the donations began pouring in.
Some gave cash, others provided paint and other supplies to fix up the new shelter.
And now a local television station in Sioux City reports the shelter is up and running again.
iowa, animals, bizarre bazaar
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 47 min ago
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos