Animal shelter gets a new home
HAVELOCK, Iowa (AP) - January 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- It was a tough choice for those who ran an animal shelter in northwest Iowa: move or get rid of all its animals.
The story has had a happy ending, thanks to donations from pet lovers and community members.
The Safe Haven Animal Shelter in Havelock, Iowa was told to pack up because neighbors complained about the stench of the animals.
The shelter found a new place - but it had no lights or indoor plumbing.
Once word got out, the donations began pouring in.
Some gave cash, others provided paint and other supplies to fix up the new shelter.
And now a local television station in Sioux City reports the shelter is up and running again.
iowa, animals, bizarre bazaar
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 47 min ago