Clerk's gun beats thief's cattle prod
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - January 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a Florida Panhandle man has been arrested after he tried to rob a convenience store with a cattle prod but was thwarted by a clerk with a gun.
The Leon County Sheriff's Office says 26-year-old Lance Tomberlin went into a store just outside Tallahassee on January 2, produced the cattle prod and demanded money from the clerk. Officials say he shocked the clerk several times before the clerk pulled a handgun.
Authorities say Tomberlin fled and another employee tried to restrain him, but he eventually escaped in his truck. Deputies stopped Tomberlin's truck but he fled on foot.
The sheriff's office says Tomberlin was arrested Tuesday and charged with armed robbery and aggravated battery.
Jail records didn't say if Tomberlin had an attorney. He was being held without bail.
florida, dumb criminals, robbery, bizarre bazaar
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 15 min ago
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 47 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 15 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 15 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 15 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
15 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
15 min ago